When you hear that there is a movie starring Robert de Niro and Anne Hathaway called “The Intern”, the first thing that comes to mind is that the sweet young lady and Oscar winner is the intern, but Noooo. The 70-year-old retired widower is the intern; he is an inspiration indeed.
Here is a list of reasons why this movie is essential for all those who feel they have fallen to the ground and need a reason to get up again:
- The intern, the movie, is a Nancy Meyers film, and what does that mean? She is the one who wrote “Father of the Bride”, “Something’s Gotta Give”, “The Holiday” and “It’s Complicated”. She is the creator of the best feel-good-movies ever. Watching this movie is like being in a bubble of happiness for 120 minutes.
- Robert de niro. The cutest 70-year-old man Ben Whittaker, who is so willing to learn and be a senior citizen intern, is a spoil alert. The first scene starts with Ben playing yoga; I haven’t seen anything as sweet as that in a while.
- Anne Hathaway, after seeing her as Fantine in “Les Miserables”, you get to see the glow in her eyes again as Jules Ostin, the owner of a fast-growing e-commerce fashion company, riding her bike in the office. Yes, in the office not to the office. She is that amazing.
- You will definitely get inspired by how Whittaker, De Niro, who is open to learn new things in his 70s, doesn’t say that he is too old for what he’s doing, as compared to Danny Glover in “Lethal weapon”.Whittaker has gotten tired of retirement and seeks a challenge.He doesn’t sit around doing nothing, he says, adding in his application video: “I still have music in me, absolutely positive about that!”
- If you have ever thought about making a career shift, then “The Intern” is a must-see movie. If a retired executive can start new e-commerce learning,so can you. If Whittaker did it, so can you. Go apply for a new job and learn all you want about the career you have dreamt about all your life.
- There is no such a thing as silly business. Jules Ostin, Hathaway, had a startup from her kitchen and in 18 months she hopped from 25 employees to 220. She has done that by wearing clothes and telling people what to wear.Even after becoming a CEO, every now and then she works in the customer service, so she won’t forget how it all had started.
- Talking about an inspiring work place, “The Fit” is the perfect one.Jules cares about having a healthy work environment with no private offices, because they are all one team where no boundaries are allowed.
- Marital stability and professional achievement are challenging, but it really can be done if you choose your partner wisely. Ah, and massages are important, “that is a teaser” *grins*.
- Experience and fatherhood are sometimes truly needed. You are never over-experienced to ask for help from senior citizens. You are never too old for a hug or a shoulder to cry on, especially from a father, or a father-like figure.
- While Jules is under pressure to give up her post of CEO to someone outside of the company as her investors feel that she is unable to cope with the workload, she never quits and keeps on fighting for her own dream and her independence, saying “Mark Zuckerberg never brought in a CEO – and he was a teenager!”
Behind at least one successful woman stands DeNiro, who never stops dreaming and is always up for a challenge.
I highly recommend watching “The Intern”, which is considered one of the best movies in the last decade. There will be some tears, but worth it. There will be a part of you shining during those two hours.
BY: ABIR YASSIN
EDITED BY: NADA ZEYADA & NADA ADEL SOBHI